The Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA) is part of the office of the Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies. ORA is composed of unit offices that provide regulatory oversight and/or operational management of research activities. These offices include Environmental Health and Safety, Animal Care Program, Human Research Protection Program, Conflict of Interest, and embryonic stem cell research.
Our mission across campus is to:
- promote the responsible conduct of research,
- assure compliance with federal, state, and university regulations and policies on research,
- serve as a campus resource for research ethics education materials and training,
- protect the rights and welfare of research subjects,
- protect public health and safety,
- assure the objectivity and integrity of research.
"Protection of a research environment for free and unfettered pursuit of knowledge is an important University responsibility. Infringement on this freedom must be restricted to those factors which are clearly essential to the protection of individuals and the public at large."- from the Michigan State University Faculty Handbook