PI or other manager FAQ
On this page...
Managers can use the Team Dashboard to view and assign training for your "team" (employees and students who report to you by department or on various projects).
Enlarge Video View
Check to see if you have Team Dashboard dropdown at the top-right of your Home screen.
You may already have it! Check the top-right corner of your Home page to see if you have a Go To: dropdown option for the Team Dashboard.
- Your Direct Team is pre-populated to reflect the MSU record of manager-subordinate relationships. This list is periodically updated to reflect changes to that database (*e.g. new hires, retirements, transfers to other department).
- You can also create an Alternate Team or you can get Proxy View. Contact the HelpDesk for both options.
You are responsible for ensuring training all personnel working in your lab, on a research project involving human subjects, or animals, or on a federal grant regardless of whether they are showing in your Direct Team. Add additional personnel that you supervisor into your Alternate Team by contacting the HelpDesk.
- Your students and employees can also ask to be added to your team.
- Some units also have an adminstrator with higher level privileges to add/delete team members.
- To add someone, s/he must have a NetID or if a non-MSU associate on a project, s/he must establish a CommunityID.
- To protect personal privacy, managers are not allowed to add personnel themselves because it would require giving access to the entire University list. You must have a legitimate reason for adding people to your team.
Just contact the Helpdesk weekdays at 517-884-4600 or email@example.com to remove someone from your team. You can also have they trainee contact us to change their manager.
- person no longer works for me
- no longer needs that training for their job
- works for someone else, but I need to monitor their training occasionally (get reports, get proxy view)
- is just a student in my class (get access to training roster instead of being their supervisor)
There are several ways to be assigned training requirements.
- Managers can assign certifications to their team or alternate team members (see image). You must be a manager in the system. If you do not see a subordinate student or employee on your Team Dashboard, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 517-884-4600 to have the person added.
- Safety officers, IRB administrator, Conflict of Interest Officer, and system administrators can assign specific training certifications to anyone in the system.
- Users/Trainees can self-register. If you know someone who needs training, you can tell them to login to train.ora.msu.edu. Students and employees can also contact the Helpdesk to be added to your Dashboard.
- Send your employee the direct link. Each certification has a direct link. If you would like to email a link to a registration page, email email@example.com.